Los Angeles jury have decided that AEG Live hired Dr. Conrad Murray, but also concluded that the concert promoter was not liable for Michael Jackson’s drug overdose death.
The jury decided that Murray was competent, so even though AEG Live hired him, it was not liable for Jackson’s death and didn’t owe the Jackson family millions of dollars in compensation.
“The jury’s decision completely vindicates AEG Live, confirming what we have known from the start — that although Michael Jackson’s death was a terrible tragedy, it was not a tragedy of AEG Live’s making,” attorney Marvin Putnam said in a written statement.
The verdict brings the five-month-long trial to a close.
The singer Jackson was a secretive drug addict who kept even his closest relatives in the dark about his use of propofol to sleep, they contended.
Jackson’s mother, Katherine, and the singer’s three children sued AEG Live in 2010, arguing that the company’s negligence in hiring, retaining or supervising Murray was a factor in the singer’s June 25, 2009, death.
Jackson died of an overdose of the surgical anesthetic propofol, which Murray told investigators he was using to treat the singer’s insomnia so he could rest for rehearsals. Murray is set to be released from jail later this month after serving two years for involuntary manslaughter.
It is alleged that the children of Jackson were all so seeking Millions of dollars to this case that is now closed.