The annual ranking, published by Forbes, was surprisingly topped by action star Vin Diesel with earnings of $US1.6 billion ($A2.2 billion) largely from being the face of the Fast and the Furious franchise. Fate of the Furious, the eighth installment of the hit franchise, released in April and topped $US1.2 billion ($A1.7 billion) at the international box office.
It’s success also boosted Dwayne Johnson to the list’s No. 2 spot, with a gross of $US1.5 billion ($A2.1 billion). This year, Johnson also starred in Baywatch and the recently released Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. Wonder Woman star Gal Gadot was the leading actress on the list, coming in at No. 3 with $US1.4 billion ($A2.0 billion) gross, while Emma Watson, who starred in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, followed close behind at $US1.3 billion ($A1.8 billion).
Forbes calculates the top-grossing actors by adding up 2017 global ticket sales of major films as of December 26. Animated movies where only actors’ voices were used were not included in the totals.
The full list of 2017’s top 10 grossing actors were:
1. Vin Diesel $US1.6 billion ($A2.2 billion)
2. Dwayne Johnson $US1.5 billion ($A2.1 billion) 3. Gal Gadot $US1.4 billion ($A2.0 billion)
4. Emma Watson $US1.3 billion ($A1.8 billion)
5. Johnny Depp $US1.1 billion ($A1.5 billion)
6. Daisy Ridley $US1.08 billion ($A1.51 billion)
7. Tom Holland $US888 million ($A1.2 billion)
8. Chris Pratt $US864 million ($A1.2 billion)
9. Chris Hemsworth $US845 million ($A1.2 billion)
10. John Boyega $US815 million ($A1.1 billion)